Friday, April 30, 2010

Banana & Mangoes

Phone camera photography 101:

Do not expect photos to turn out great. In fact, don't even expect photos to turn out moderately decent in quality unless you have one of those fancy schmancy camera phones (I was told Sony Ericsson does good piccies).

What it does, however, is capture the moment through grainy shots because you don't happen to have a more superior instrument with you; or in my case, failed to charge the battery ahead of time. -.-

Not my fault entirely. I didn't expect to be sightseeing in Carnarvon. In fact the only reason we did really was because the job went a lot smoother than anticipated, and we ended up with 5 odd hours to kill while waiting for our flight home.


Our plane.
Note to Diana (and Danson, when he eventually reads this): The flight to Carnarvon was only a fraction of the hell we went through the last time. I only felt sick for a little while, which was a vast improvement . ^^ And the flight home was surprisingly smooth, although I did take precautions to not stuff myself with big breakfast prior to take off. :P

Anyway like I said, sightseeing wasn't part of the plan, so we weren't equipped with maps or GPS or information. After killing as much time as we possibly could on lunch and window shopping, we only managed to pass like an hour tops. T.T Clearly there wasn't much to eat and window-shop for.

So fine, we set off to hunt for attractions and photo opportunities, driving as slow as road courtesy allows us to, and here are some pics to document our efforts:



The pretty coastal side of Carnarvon



Someone once told me that the Aboriginese believe that the trees are 'bowing' to a greater spirit.



Best mango smoothie, ever. And possibly the best battered scallop too.

Scallop was "Chinese Restaurant Grade", i.e. fat and juicy morsels which are so fresh that you could peel it off strand by strand. Not the tiny battered-heavy ones you get at most chippies over here. I'd almost forgotten the real taste and wholesome flavour of scallops until 2 days ago. And I was happy that Mitch had a scallop education himself - I could see it in his face, even though all he did was nod and half-shrugged.



Here in Carnarvon, they are extremely proud of their people's achievements.

And I say that with no hint of cynicism; I honestly think we could do with a bit more community spirit in our lives sometimes. :)


We also set out to hunt for the hilariously named (and for some reason, terribly elusive) 'Chinaman Pool'. I think we both had our own lame and possibly-racist imaginings of what this pool could be. And we figured that maybe at the very least we would find some mini museum or something to kill some time with.




Unfortunately, we were quite wrong.



It was a river bed. Mitchy wanted to go walk along the plains but I wasn't too keen. The hot weather was a huge factor; that and I didn't want to encounter any snakes or biting creatures that may be living in those bushes. -.-

So we moved on, disappointed that it was not in fact a Chinaman-shaped pool.


Google image search result for 'man-shaped pool'


Next we came across what was possibly our most interesting discovery of them all: The Carnarvon Heritage Trail!

Dotted with steam-powered trains and tractors from simpler days, it also housed the One Mile jetty, the beach and an observation tower which sufficed my photographic needs. And with that, I leave you with a couple more scenic shots of Bananacity. Taa.
















xx
Hsin

2 comments:

  1. OMG MAN SHAPED POOL. INGENIOUS!

    But how would a chinaman shaped pool look like? =_=

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW RIGHT?

    Chinaman shaped pool = bulging tummy and a receding hairline? I would love to see how they pan that out into a pool.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails