Monday, May 3, 2010

Hsin can (still) cook

Coming home from work one day, we noticed these 2 strange birds loitering about outside our lawn:


Hello, neighbours.


What are they? They look like a cross between a pelican and a stork.


...


On other news, I am still cooking! Not as gungho as I used to be, which is a bit strange seeing as that I have my own kitchen to meddle with now compared to back then. But once in a while, I launch into my experimenting mode and more often than not, end up pretty successful. And then I'll keep on making the same couple of things over and over again until I get sick of it and look for something new to work on.

Recent efforts include Vanilla Bean Panna Cotta with Berry Coulis (either blueberries or raspberries, but I discovered that the latter pairs up a lot better with vanilla), Baked Eggs with Spinach and Bacon (great way to make Mitch eat spinach), and one of my current favourites: Chinese-style steamed egg.


Also the only one with an accessible pic.


I am not equipped to do any steaming, so I cook them as I would a creme caramel; i.e. covered with foil and baked in a water bath at about 180 degrees.

The result? Silky smooth savoury egg custard with shiitake mushrooms, mildly flavoured by stock, white pepper and sesame oil. Simple indulgence on a cold, rainy day. :)


xx
Hsin

3 comments:

  1. hahahahaahhaah i saw your title and i saw your first few lines about the birds. i thought you caught them and cooked them WTF

    ReplyDelete
  2. WTF NO LAH! i can't even carve chicken properly yet, let alone catch, slay, de-feather and cook a whole bird. -.-

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails