Saturday, April 24, 2010

Back (from hiatus and Kalgoorlie)

Oh my goodness, look who started blogging again.

Who knows how long I'm going to sustain this one, but I do miss writing sometimes. Mostly when I'm traveling through the middle of nowhere, which for some reason is when I start having lots of thoughts about everything. It's just a bit strange.

Plus, I made a promise to some friends to resume blogging as soon as my new laptop arrives - and it has - so here I am!


Hello you pretty thing


Btw, reason for my shift to a brand new site, because I want to pretend the previous abandonment never took place. -.-

Bear with me while I rediscover my writing style. I think I need a bit of warming up to this after so long. It's been a while since I wrote anything that isn't an email, job application, or a 140-character feed.

Anyway a quick round-up of my year so far:

We've moved out from our shared house to our own complex unit near the city. It is a cosy little thing in a lovely neighbourhood near the city, and we have a view of the doggie park across the road, much to Mitchy's delight.

I'm still only working part time, but I've had plenty more regional travel opportunities lately. In fact we've just gotten back from Kalgoorlie which is a miner town about an hour flight away from Perth. Not a bad place (except for some of the seedy miner men), and the food there was shockingly good.


I found one of the best and most authentic Thai food over there, where the cook/owner was this tiny Thai elderly lady who believes in making everything from scratch. We had something called Jungle Curry, which was essentially a whole lot of herbs, spices and greens thrown together and cooked with either chicken or beef. And I think because we ordered Extra Hot, she came out to check on us to make sure we haven't burned a hole through our guts.

She was mightily impressed that we polished them all off. She proceeded to ask where I was from, and when she heard I was Malaysian, she took me as a kindred spirit and started brandishing me with stories of her life and even a free dessert of my choice. At the same time, she was following her big, dopey-looking waiter around the restaurant, telling him off for being slow and incompetent. T.T I felt so sorry for him!


We also drove to Leonora, which is a small town about 230kms away from Kalgoorlie. Not the greatest drive since it was mostly a straight road across dirt and wide open spaces of nothing. But we did pass the town of Menzies, which had this pump station slash roadside attraction:









Next week we fly to Carnarvon. The last time we were there, Diana and Danson had a stomach-content-regurgitating experience on our flight back. It was a small plane propelled by equally small engines and, well, propellers. -.-


On top of that, I'm also doing a bit of writing for Oxfam Australia at the moment. It's a cushy, borderline copy-pasting job, but I'll like to think it's a small baby-step start for my foray into an industry which continues to reject my applications. It is GREAT. Although to be fair, I've yet to start door-knocking at companies. Hopefully it doesn't follow with door-slamming-into-face too much. Will document the events here when I do eventually. It'll be a riot.

And on that note, Happy Anzac Day to all! And happy long weekend to all non-celebrating non-Aussies residing in the country. Have a beer, or five, and remember to raise your glasses when you do. :)



3 comments:

  1. Yay! Hsin back in the game, whee. More things to read :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaay Jillie-beans founded me! I was half hesitant to pimp out the blog until I have on a few more entries first. -.-

    Are you writing again yet btw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I've given up - I don't think I can actually keep up really, so it's probably better to not start.

    That's why I have twitter. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails